Thank you for participating in ASHA’s 2021 Virtual Advocacy Day! For more opportunities to advocate, visit the following pages:
Did you know that you have the strongest voice to advocate for our professions?
As an audiologist, SLP, or student, you have the expertise to talk about the legislative and policy issues that impact you and those you serve. You're also a constituent and your voice matters! That's why it's important for you to tell your elected officials how legislation impacts you.
Support ASHA’s advocacy efforts by sending prewritten messages (that can be personalized!) to your members of Congress. Take five minutes out of your day to let your voice be heard!
Steps to Contact Your Elected Officials About an Issue
1) Select an issue below.
2) Fill in your name and home address (this helps us identify your elected officials) and select "Submit".
3) Review the prewritten message (consider adding personalized text for greater impact).
4) Select "Submit" to send the message to your elected officials.
Message Your Members of Congress on the Following Issues
- Medicare Access to Audiology Services: Medicare only covers diagnostic tests performed by audiologists when ordered by a physician. So, we’re asking Congress to allow audiologists to provide both treatment and diagnostic services for Medicare patients.
- Promote Access to Education Services and Supports: We’re asking Congress to provide additional federal funding needed for states to meet federal mandates to provide services and support for all children with disabilities in the schools. Increase IDEA funding!
- Enhance Older Adult Access to Telehealth Services: Audiologists and SLPs are qualified providers of telehealth services. We’re asking Congress to permanently cover our services for Medicare patients through telehealth even after the public health emergency.
- Protect Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) Initiatives: EHDI programs help ensure newborns are screened at birth for hearing loss to identify those needing follow up intervention services early in life. But these programs need to be funded every year. We’re asking Congress for full funding of EHDI programs in FY 2022 and to address health care disparities in medically underserved communities.
Share that you advocated with your social network. Be sure to tag @ASHAAdvocacy and @ASHAWeb, and use the hashtags #ASHAAdvocacyDay, #AuDPeeps, #SLPeeps so we can see and share them too!
On May12, ASHA will be putting a story together made up of pictures from you! Here’s how to participate:
- Pick a poster to print out [PDF] and write down what issue you’re most passionate about advocating for on Advocacy Day. It could be something like:
- I’m advocating for more funding in schools for special ed
- I’m advocating for Medicare patients to have access to auds for diagnosis & treatment
- I’m advocating for better access to telehealth services by audiologists and SLPs
- Hold up your poster and take a selfie (make sure the lighting is good)
- Upload it to your Instagram account and be sure to add our handle @ashaweb and #ASHAAdvocacyDay